“While keeping kosher is a requirement of the Jewish faith, there are many health benefits that shopping for kosher groceries can bring to anyone’s diet. Many shoppers choose to keep kosher based on the quality of the food and how it’s prepared. Whether adopting the diet for the first time or continuing with the religious tradition you were raised with, there are many health benefits to keeping kosher.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF KEEPING KOSHER
What makes food kosher? Keeping kosher isn’t a type of food, but rather a preparation process. Kosher food preparation begins with the types of animals and how they are slaughtered. Kosher meats are thoroughly inspected for any sickness or broken bones. According to Jewish law, meat that could potentially be infected makes it unsafe to consume, which is a major reason why people outside of the faith choose to keep kosher. Kosher inspections reject about three times more than the USDA, which makes keeping kosher healthier and safer than standard practices.
- Keeping kosher controls the way food is prepared
- Quality standards are higher for kosher foods
- Limits placed on the amount of food consumed helps establish self control and healthy eating habits
- Kosher meats are thoroughly salted, making them less likely to carry E. coli and salmonella
- Kosher foods are good for people with allergies to certain foods like shellfish because strict restrictions prevent the accidental mixture of products
- Vegetarians keeping kosher can buy products labeled “pareve,” which means they contain no traces of meat or dairy
- Because meat and dairy don’t mix in a kosher diet, cholesterol levels are generally lower in people keeping kosher
Due to the slowed process of examination and high standards of quality that regulate kosher foods, keeping kosher eliminates many risks and helps you be more aware of what you’re putting into your body. Buying certified kosher foods means they have undergone more precise inspections and have less risks than foods of normal standard.
At Livonia Glatt Market, we have a knowledgeable staff that can help you find what you need and educate you about what’s in your food. There are many health benefits to keeping kosher, starting with the high quality standards kosher foods must meet. Shopping at Livonia Glatt Market for kosher groceries is a great step towards healthy eating and kosher diet.”